PORT ARTHUR, Texas — An employee at the Port Arthur Total refinery has tested positive for the coronavirus.
The company confirmed Tuesday that the employee who tested positive is in self-quarantine and hasn't been at the site since March 26.
Total says it has 'implemented our pandemic response in the case of a positive COVID-19 test, which includes disinfecting and sanitation of the potentially-affected areas.'
Employees who may have been in contact with the patient are asked to self-quarantine according to a Total news release.
From a Total news release:
Total Petrochemicals and Refining USA, Inc. can confirm that an employee at the Port Arthur Refinery has tested positive for COVID-19. The affected employee is in self-quarantine per the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) guidelines and has not been onsite at the refinery since March 26.
Total has implemented our pandemic response in the case of a positive COVID-19 test, which includes disinfecting and sanitation of the potentially-affected areas, and asking employees who may have been in contact with the affected employee to self-quarantine.
The Port Arthur Refinery works with Total’s U.S. COVID-19 Task Force to implement a wide range of mitigation measures including:
· No-contact temperature screening for all personnel entering the refinery gates.
· Instituted a COVID-19 audit team to educate and reinforce appropriate behaviors in social distancing and hygiene
· Provided face shields and half faced respirators for personnel when needed
· Added additional handwashing stations and mobilized additional janitorial services
· All personnel not essential to safe operations and who can effectively work at home are doing so
· Employees required to work at the refinery are doing so under staggered shifts and practicing social distancing to minimize contact
· Split shifts for maintenance and contractors to achieve social distancing
· Cancelled all large face-to-face meetings
The health and safety of our employees, vendors, contractors, and communities is a core value and our top priority. We are continuously monitoring the COVID-19 situation and updating the response plan as the situation evolves as well as communicating with all employees in order to keep everyone informed.