VIDOR, Texas — Vidor Police officers served up a Halloween "trick" in the form of an arrest warrant Sunday night on a man they say has a history of running and hiding from police.
Jonathan Bean, 29, of Vidor, was arrested Sunday evening at his grandmother's house by Vidor officers on thirteen warrants ranging from an outstanding ticket for "failure to drive in a single lane" to a felony charge of "burglary of a building" according to a news release from the Vidor Police Department.
Bean, who was wanted on a felony warrant, was spotted in the area of South Dewitt Road and Highway 90 about a week ago according to police.
By the time officers got to the area they could not find him.
During the last week officers learned that Bean was staying at his grandmother's house on South DeWitt Road the release said.
Because Bean had a history of running and hiding from police, officers devised a plan to arrest him at the home on Halloween by getting him to answer the door when they knocked and said "trick or treat" the release said.
Not long after officers knocked and said "trick or treat" Bean answered the door to a uniformed officer on the porch.
After what police described as a "short stand off" he was arrested on the outstanding warrants and taken to the Orange County Jail.
Orange County jail records show that Bean is being held there on bonds totaling $10,800.
GET NEWS & WEATHER ALERTS | Download the 12News App to your mobile device
CRIME STOPPERS | Submit a tip @ 833Tips.com
CRIME STOPPERS APP | Download the P3 Tips App
If you have information about a crime you could earn a cash reward of up to $1000 by providing an ANONYMOUS tip to Crime Stoppers of Southeast Texas.
Call 833-TIPS (8477) or download the P3Tips App on your mobile device to submit your tip anonymously.
This is a developing story. We will update with more if and when we receive more confirmed information.
From a Vidor Police Department news release...
On Sunday, October 31, 2021, Halloween, at approximately 7:29 PM, Officer with the Vidor Police Department devised a plan to execute a felony warrant in the 300 block of S. Dewitt, Vidor, Texas.
A week earlier an individual known to officers to have a felony warrant was spotted in the area of S. Dewitt and Hwy 90. Before the officer could engage the suspect, the suspect ran from the area. Officers checked the area but were unable to locate the wanted individual.
During the week, officers obtained information that the wanted person was staying at his grandmother's house in the 300 block of S. Dewitt. Knowing that the suspect had a history of running and hiding from police, the officers devised a plan of getting the suspect to answer the door. Officers went to the residence and knocked announcing "Trick or Treat."
A short while later the suspect opened the door to see a uniformed officer standing on his front porch. After a short stand-off the suspect was taken into custody on the following warrants:
- ORANGE COUNTY JP1 WARRANT:
- WARRANT# 21 1215: AFFIDAVIT FOR RELEASE OF SURET/BURG OF BUILDING - $10,000 BOND - F3
- ORANGE COUNTY JP2 WARRANTS (ALL CLASS C MISDEMEANORS):
- WARRANT# 21 1215: FAIL TO MAINTAIN FINANCIAL RESPONSIBILITY - $500.50 CAPIAS PRO FINE
- WARRANT# 21 1214: FAIL TO DRIVE IN SINGLE LANE - $403 CAPIAS PRO FINE
- WARRANT# 21 2847: FTA $350 FINE / $400 BOND
- WARRANT# 21 2848: FTA $350 FINE / $400 BOND
- ORANGE COUNTY JP4 WARRANTS (ALL CLASS C MISDEMEANORS):
- WARRANT# 176328: FAIL TO DRIVE IN SINGLE LANE - $461.50 CAPIAS PRO FINE
- WARRANT# 176329: NO INSURANCE - $712.40 CAPIAS PRO FINE
- WARRANT# 175039: DWLI - $521.40 CAPIAS PRO FINE
- WARRANT# 175040: NO INSURANCE - $777.40 CAPIAS PRO FINE
- WARRANT# 176214: DWLI - $608.40 CAPIAS PRO FINE
- VIDOR MUNICIPAL COURT WARRANTS:
- WARRANT# 0000076077: FTMFR 2ND OFF - $472 CAPIAS PRO FINE
- WARRANT# 0000076078: DWLI - $352 CAPIAS PRO FINE
- WARRANT# 0000082320: DSS - $230 CAPIAS PRO FINE