BEAUMONT, Texas — Several Southeast Texas civic groups are collaborating with the Jefferson County Clerk's office to teach voters about the county's new voting machines.
The new machines will be put into use later this month when early voting begins.
The demonstrations are happening over the next week at the courthouse and a Beaumont church.
The first one was held this past Sunday afternoon, October 2, at the West Tabernacle Baptist Church in Beaumont.
The next demos will be held at the following locations...
Oct. 5, 9 a.m. - 2 p.m. - Jury impaneling room, Jefferson County Courthouse
Oct. 6, 9 a.m. - 2 p.m. - Jury impaneling room, Jefferson County Courthouse
Oct. 9, 12:30 p.m. - 2 p.m. - Borden Chapel Missionary Baptist Church, 3495 Roland in Beaumont.
Oct. 13, 5:30 p.m. - 9 p.m. - Jury impaneling room, Jefferson County Courthouse
Early voting begins, Monday, October 24, 2022 and runs through November 4, 2022.
The groups hosting the events are...
- Delta Sigma Theta Sorority's Beaumont chapter
- Top Ladies of Distinction's Beaumont chapter
- Baptist Minister's Union
- Ministerial Brotherhood Alliance
Here's info about registering to vote in Texas
The deadline to register to vote to cast a ballot in the 2022 Midterm Election is Tuesday, October 11, 2022.
Texas requires registration by the 30th day before Election Day.
In Texas you can register to vote in the county you live in to be able to vote in all local, state and federal elections.
Contact your county's voter registrar for more.
Wondering if you are already registered to vote? You can visit the Secretary of State website to find out.
You are eligible to register to vote if:
- You are a United States citizen;
- You are a resident of the county where you submit the application;
- You are at least 17 years and 10 months old on the date your voter registration application is submitted, and you are 18 years of age on Election Day.
- You are not a convicted felon (you may be eligible to vote if you have completed your sentence, probation, and parole); and
- You have not been declared by a court exercising probate jurisdiction to be either totally mentally incapacitated or partially mentally incapacitated without the right to vote.
Registering to vote for the first time:
To register to vote in Texas, simply complete a voter registration application and return it to your county election office at least 30 days before the upcoming election date. To complete an application, you may:
- Complete an application using the Texas Secretary of State's ONLINE VOTER REGISTRATION APPLICATION. Simply fill in the required information, print, sign and mail the completed application directly to your county election office;
- Request a PRINTED APPLICATION. The Texas Secretary of State office will mail a postage-paid voter registration application to the address provided; OR
- Contact or visit your local VOTER REGISTRAR to complete the voter registration process.
Register to vote when renewing your Driver License
If you’re not already registered to vote but have an existing Texas Driver License or state identification card, you can register to vote online when renewing, replacing or changing your contact information for either of these cards through the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS).
Follow the steps on the DPS web portal to update your driver license information, and you will be given the option to register to vote when renewing or updating your information.
Update your voter registration information online
Whether you’ve recently moved or changed your name, you can now update all your information on your voter registration record through our portal on Texas.gov.
To update your registration online first visit the Texas SOS "My Voter Portal" to look up your "voter unique identifier, or VUID. You'll need it to update your information here.
In Texas early-voting begins on Monday, October 24, 2022, and runs through Friday November 4, 2022. Check your individual county for specific early-voting locations and times.
GET NEWS & WEATHER ALERTS | Download the 12News App to your mobile device
This is a developing story. We will update with more if and when we receive more confirmed information.