Breaking News
More () »

Southeast Texas's Leading Local News: Weather, Traffic, Sports and more | Southeast Texas, Texas | 12NEWSNOW.com

What you need to know before applying for FEMA assistance after Imelda

Under the presidential disaster declaration, individual assistance includes up to $35,500 per household for damages

BEAUMONT, Texas — President Donald Trump has approved Gov. Greg Abbott's request for a federal disaster declaration after Tropical Storm Imelda. 

The request includes assistance from damage received during the storm in Chambers, Harris, Jefferson, Liberty, Montgomery and Orange Counties. 

You will be able to apply via the FEMA Disaster Assistance Helpline at 1-800-621-3362 or by going to disasterassistance.gov. The Disaster Assistance Hotline is available seven days a week from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. CST.

Under the presidential disaster declaration, individual assistance includes up to $35,500 per household for damages sustained during the flood. There is no guarantee you will be approved for the entire amount. 

RELATED: Presidential Disaster Declaration issued for 6 Southeast Texas counties in wake of Tropical Storm Imelda

Here's what you need to know before applying for individual assistance from FEMA:

  1. You will need your Social Security Number, annual household income, contact information (phone number, mailing address, email address and address of damaged property), insurance information and bank account information
  2. For insurance information, you will need to provide company name and coverage information
  3. Bank account information must be an account eligible to have money deposited into the account
  4. The registration process can take 20-30 minutes
  5. It's not easy to change information once submitted. So check your answers and make sure they are accurate. 

Can I apply for FEMA if I have insurance? Yes. By law, FEMA cannot duplicate benefits for losses covered by your insurance. You will need to file a claim with your insurance company first. 

There is a chance you still have unmet disaster-caused needs after your maximum insurance settlement. FEMA will request a copy of the claim settlement from your insurance company before you qualify for federal assistance. 

What if my county isn't in the disaster declaration? Counties can be added to the declaration later. Assessments are still going on in Southeast Texas after Imelda. 

How can I find a FEMA Disaster Recovery Center? Many people across Southeast Texas remember the DRC's after Hurricane Harvey. Currently, there are no DRC's set up. That could change. You can find out if any are setup here 

RELATED: Texas to get $4B to help prevent future flooding

RELATED: Imelda Recovery: Finding help while waiting for FEMA

RELATED: How you can help Imelda victims