Southeast Texas's Leading Local News: Weather, Traffic, Sports and more | Southeast Texas, Texas | 12NEWSNOW.com

Renters may qualify for federal disaster assistance following Imelda

Renters who live in one of the affected Texas counties may be eligible for assistance.

BEAUMONT, Texas — Renters who were affected by Tropical Storm Imelda may be eligible for federal disaster assistance.

If you live in one of the affected Texas counties as a renter and your residence or property was damaged and caused you to “incur losses” from September 17 through 23 you may be eligible according to a news release from FEMA.

From a FEMA news release…

AUSTIN, Texas – Renters in Texas counties whose homes and property were damaged during Tropical Storm Imelda may be eligible for federal disaster assistance.

Aid is available to residents of Chambers, Harris, Jefferson, Liberty, Montgomery, Orange and San Jacinto counties, who incurred losses from Sept. 17-23.

There are federal grants that can help pay for temporary housing. These rental grants are for a 30-day period, subject to review until renters' previous homes are livable or they find another home.

Also, the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) offers low-interest disaster loans to help Texas renters repair or replace disaster-damaged personal property, including automobiles.  Loan rates as low as 1.75 percent with terms up to 30 years can be made for eligible losses up to $40,000. Eligible losses include damages to personal property in designated counties that are either uninsured or underinsured, and the survivor has not received compensation from other sources.

Both renters and homeowners may also be eligible for Other Needs Assistance (ONA) through FEMA. ONA helps survivors with uninsured or underinsured expenses and serious needs caused by the disaster.

Other Needs Assistance can be used for:

• Disaster-related medical and dental expenses, as well as assistive devices such as wheelchairs, canes, communication boards and related equipment, and prescriptions;

• Replacement or repair of personal property lost or damaged in the disaster, such as room furnishings or appliances, and tools and equipment required by the self-employed for their jobs;

• A primary vehicle, an approved second vehicle or a modified vehicle damaged by the disaster; and

• Disaster-related funeral and burial expenses.

Eligibility for some ONA grants may be determined at the time of application or in some cases after completing and returning an SBA application.

The first step is to register with FEMA for assistance. To do so:

• Go to www.disasterassistance.gov or

• Call 800-621-3362 or 800-462-7585 (TTY).

For additional information about SBA disaster loans, the loan application process, or for help completing the SBA application:

• Call 800-659-2955; persons that are deaf or hard-of hearing may call (800) 877-8339


Visit SBA’s website at www.sba.gov/disaster for information or to apply online.

RELATED: FEMA Disaster Recovery Center opening near downtown Beaumont

RELATED: What to expect during FEMA inspections