Breaking News
More () »

‘Tragic, horrible situation’ | Body of 18-year-old Beaumont man who jumped into Pine Island Bayou found Wednesday morning

Witnesses said he resurfaced, went back underwater, and did not resurface a second time.

BEAUMONT, Texas — The body of an 18-year-old Beaumont man who disappeared in Pine Island Bayou after jumping off a bridge Tuesday afternoon has been recovered.

Amereion Hadnot, 18, of Beaumont, was walking across the bridge from Jefferson County into Hardin County just before 5 p.m. when he jumped into the murky waters according to Hardin County Sheriff Mark Davis.

His body was found at 8:45 a.m. Wednesday by Texas Game Wardens and Fire Department personnel from Lumberton, Silsbee and Beaumont Davis said in an email today.

Witnesses said Hadnot resurfaced, went back underwater, and did not resurface a second time. 

An autopsy has been ordered by Hardin County Justice of the Peace Melissa Minton. 

CONTRIBUTE | GoFundMe set up to raise funds for funeral expenses

Hadnot had also been seen jumping from the Burlington Northern Santa Fe railroad bridge into the bayou on Tuesday afternoon Davis said.

Davis is calling it a "tragic, horrible situation." Davis said Lumberton fire and rescue along with Beaumont fire and rescue crews responded with dive teams and search boats.

He said their investigation turned from a search and recuse mission to a recovery mission.

"The people that were in his party that were together, that group clearly didn't see him exit the water anywhere else," Davis said. "So, unfortunately, that's leading us to think that he did succumb to the water, that we're working a drowning. At some point, the divers will be able to go in the water and confirm that recovery of a body."

Investigators were searching not far from where he went into the water, but debris and dirty water are making recovery efforts more challenging, Davis said.

Hadnot's friends who were with him when he jumped in the water told 12News they were shocked and absolutely devastated.

Divers and first responders called off the search as of 7:45 p.m. Tuesday, Davis said. They are prepared to return at 7 a.m. Wednesday to continue recovery efforts.

This is a developing story. We will update with more if and when we receive more confirmed information.

GET NEWS & WEATHER ALERTS | Download the 12News App to your mobile device 

Send us a news tip | Download our app | 12News Morning Rush Newsletter

Also on 12NewsNow.com...

Before You Leave, Check This Out