NEW ORLEANS — Several New Orleans area universities are suspended in-person classes in favor of online instruction to avoid the spread of the COVID-19, the potentially deadly disease caused by the coronavirus.
Below is a list of school changes and cancellations due to the spread of the coronavirus. This is not an exhaustive list. If in doubt, check directly with the school or university for the most up-to-date information.
To add your school to the list, email the WWL-TV newsroom at email@example.com
Starting Monday, March 16, classes at all K-12 public schools across the state have been halted until April 13.
For a list of school locations serving food for students, see below:
All schools in the New Orleans Archdiocese and private schools will follow Governor Edwards' directions for public schools.
Universities and Colleges
- Delgado College: All classes will move online and resume on March 23. Enrollment for Summer and Fall semesters will continue online.
- Dillard University: All classes will move online starting March 23. Students will have the option to leave campus for the remainder of the semester. The University will remain open to students who are in need of services or unable to travel.
- Herzing University: Classes will go online until April 22
- University of Holy Cross: All in-person classes will move online starting March 19 until further notice.
- Louisiana State University: Classes to go online starting March 30. No classes at all for next two weeks as teachers prepare online instruction. LSU's May commencement ceremonies have been postponed indefinitely.
- Loyola University New Orleans: All classes will move to online instruction starting March 16.
- Nicholls State University: Nicholls will continue online operation for the rest of the spring semester. Many of our services, such as Dining Services, the Counseling Center, Tutorial and Academic Enhancement Center and Ellender Memorial Library are still helping students. The school's commencement ceremony has been postponed indefinitely.
- Southeastern Louisiana University: Out of an abundance of caution, all Southeastern classes transitioned to remote delivery, starting March 18.
- Southern University New Orleans: Starting March 23, remote instruction through the end of the semester
- Tulane University: All classes will move online starting March 23.
- University of New Orleans: All classes will move online starting March 16. The school's May 15 commencement has been postponed indefinitely.
- Xavier University: All courses will transition to online starting March 16.
- Southeastern: All in-person classes moved online beginning March 18. The university said classes will not meet from Friday, March 13, to Tuesday, March 17.
- Southern University and A&M College System (Baton Rouge): All classes will move online March 30. School will be closed March 16-21, Spring Break rescheduled to March 23-27.
- Nunez Community College: Classes will resume online on March 30.
- Jewish Community Day School: Closed starting Monday, March 16. The school expects to stay closed for two weeks and is putting together what it calls a "distance learning model" for its students.
- Muslim Academy: The Muslim Academy in Gretna will be closed until further notice, the school's principal Nabil AbuKhader said in an email to WWLTV.