A month after Harvey, recovery efforts are still in full force in Port Arthur

Residents in Port Arthur continue to receive hot meals a month after Harvey in Port Arthur

PORT ARTHUR - The recovery effort is still in full force in Port Arthur. Harvey slammed the community exactly a month ago.

Organizations like the Salvation Army are not leaving anytime soon as they continue to provide meals and other needs to victims.

“They’ve been here for quite a while now for the last three weeks for lunch and dinner.” Said Joe White.

A food mobile unit was parked outside Breath of Life Ministries on Procter Street Sunday. Volunteers handing out hot meals throughout the day.

Within the last month, the Salvation Army served 166,381 hot meals through 8 mobile feeding units in the Golden Triangle.

“We like to think that a storm comes through there’s some damage you fix and you move on but some of these folks it’s going to be months before they really get back to normalcy.” Said Richard Pease, Salvation Army Envoy.

Canteen teams go around the hard hit areas also serving hot lunch and dinner and assistance.

20-year-old Anthony Nguyen was happy to grab dinner for his family on Sunday. Their home was flooded out by 4 feet of water and are still in the process of rebuilding.

“Anything can help right now you know? It’s kind of a little struggle financially but we are pulling through a little set back.” He explained.

Ten mobile food units will hit the streets again on Monday throughout Southeast Texas.

 

© 2017 KBMT-TV


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment