With hurricane season fast approaching we might need a quick refresher course on how to prepare. In the days leading up to June 1st, we will provide an informative tip each day during our morning and evening broadcasts. Our first tip should help you prepare a survival kit. Here is how you can do it. These items are considered most essential, but more items may be necessary if you have other specific needs.
Your hurricane kit should consist of:
- At least a 3-day and preferably a 7-day supply of water (one gallon per person per day)
- Non-perishable food
- Manual can opener
- First aid kit
- Hand sanitizer
- Formula, diapers, and other baby supplies
- Prescription and non-prescription medicines
- Cell phones and battery-powered cell phone chargers
- Battery-powered radios and flashlights
- Plenty of batteries
- Extra cash
- Blankets, sleeping bags, books, and games (especially if evacuating)
These are the kind of items that need to be on standby, however, when the moment comes, don't forget to pack a suitcase.
Our 2014 Hurricane Special will air on Monday, June 9th!