Jury to resume deliberations Friday in Curtis Garrison double-mu - 12 News KBMT and K-JAC. News, Weather and Sports for SE Texas

Jury to resume deliberations Friday in Curtis Garrison double-murder trial

After more than 5 hours of deliberation Thursday, an Orange County jury was unable to agree on a verdict in the double-murder trial of Curtis Allen Garrison.

Garrison is charged with capital murder in the November 23, 2012 shooting deaths of Aaron and Summer Conn. The couple was shot to death at a home in Orange County just north of Vidor.

Before closing arguments, 163rd District Judge Dennis Powell reminded those in attendance to remain civil.  He said he knows it's a highly emotional trial.

Closing arguments began at 10:15 a.m. as Prosecutor Krispen Walker showed the jury a photo of a body bag.

"This is how Aaron and Summer Conn were packaged on Black Friday (2012,)" said Walker.

Walker said that Garrison could not tell the same story twice in the same way, saying he has to substantiate his self-defense claim.  She said, that's all he's got.  She went on to say this is not sa self-defense case, and that it is clear that Garrison committed capital murder.

Defense Attorney Jim Sharon Bearden asked the jury to put themselves in Garrison's shoes and consider events from his point of view.  Bearden said the state is trying to make Garrison look like a monster and pointed out that Garrison gave Mr. Conn a place to stay and food to eat.

Bearden asked the jury, "What does it take to justify deadly force?"

"What if they threaten to kill you twice, they're high, and they approach you with a knife, on your property?" he asked.

Prosecutor Walker asked the jury, "You had the opportunity to hear (Garrison's) voice, how he says things happened... how cold was it?"

Walker showed the jury all four guns.  There were two rifles, a pistol and a shotgun.  All were used to shoot Aaron and Summer Conn.

Walker then showed the jury a photo of Aaron Conn's face with grass stains on it, saying he was face down on the ground when Garrison shot him in the head.

Closing arguments wrapped up shortly after 11 a.m. and the jury began deliberating at roughly 11:10 a.m.

At 5 p.m., the jury was sent home for the day. Deliberations are scheduled to resume Friday morning at 8:30.

If found guilty, Garrison will automatically be sentenced to life in prison without parole.

  • Submit a news tip

    Do you know of something that would be a good news story?  Enter your email address and select "Submit"  to send it to 12 News HD.  You can also call the news tip line at 409-838-1212

    * denotes required fields
    We're sorry, but only one entry is allowed per person.
    Thank you for your continued interest.

    Thank you for submitting your news idea to 12News HD!

Powered by WorldNow

Newsroom: (409) 838-1212
Front Desk: (409) 833-7512
News Fax: (409) 981-1564
News Email: 12News@kbmt12.com

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KBMT. All Rights Reserved.
Users of this site agree to the Terms of Service, Privacy Notice/Your California Privacy Rights, and Ad Choices.