Curtis Garrison takes stand in his own defense in day three of t - 12 News KBMT and K-JAC. News, Weather and Sports for SE Texas

Curtis Garrison takes stand in his own defense in day three of trial

ORANGE COUNTY - The state Wednesday continued calling witnesses in the capital murder trial of Curtis Allen Garrison. Garrison is charged in the November 23, 2012 shooting deaths of Aaron and Summer Conn.  The couple was shot to death at a home in Orange County just north of Vidor.

One of the first witnesses called Wednesday was Sgt. Howard who described how a crime scene is processed with DPS equipment. 

Monica Barron, Summer Conn's mother was second to take the stand.  She said the last time she saw Summer Conn alive was Thanksgiving afternoon 2012.  She said she let Summer borrow her Nissan Maxima and cell phone.

"I called and called and called, she never returned my call.  She calls me everyday," Barron said as she described trying to reach her daughter.

The state called Lisa Garrison to the stand.  She is Curtis Garrison's mother.  She said that Curtis came to her house Nov. 23, 2012 and told her and Garrison's father that he had just killed two people.

Lisa Garrison said Curtis was acting, "scared, but calm," when as he spoke.  She said she went numb and started crying when she heard what he said.  She said she then went to the police station to report the crime.

The state also called Nathan Garrison, Curtis' brother.  He testified that he asked Curtis how he killed two people.  He said Curtis responded, "I shot 'em."  He asked Curtis why he killed the people. 

"He was talkin' sh**," he said Curtis responded.

Nathan said he went with his mother to the police station when she went to report the crime.  He said he remembered thinking that he did not want to get into any trouble, and did not want his parents to get in trouble.

The state rested its case around 11 a.m. Wednesday.

The defense gave an opening statement before calling its first witness, saying Aaron Conn was staying with Curtis Garrison and was kicked out.  The defense attorney said Conn later came back and threatened Garrison.

Curtis Garrison took the stand in his own defense around 11:30 a.m. He appeared very calm as he testified.

"I've had people steal from me quite often.  I get robbed at least six times a year," he testified.

Garrison said he ran into Aaron Conn at a pawn shop, and that Conn later called him.

"He said he was homeless, and needed a place to stay," Garrison testified.

Garrison said he agreed to give Conn a place to stay and food to eat. He said he had two rules for the house, get a job or help out around the house and no drugs. 

Garrison said he caught Aaron Conn snooping around his property on Thanksgiving.  He said Conn's wife was in the car waiting on him.  He said he told Conn to leave.

"(Conn) seemed like he wanted to fight me, or hurt me in some way," Garrison testified.

Garrison said he told Aaron Conn that he burned Aaron's clothes.  He said Conn cursed at him and left.  He said Aaron and Summer Conn later returned and kicked Garrison's dog before pulling out a knife.  Garrison said Aaron Conn approached him with the knife, so he fired a warning shot.  He said Conn asked his wife to help him kill him.  He said at that point, he saw Summer reach down in the car for something.

"I unloaded everything I had on that car," Garrison said.

He admitted shooting Aaron Conn in the back of the head.

"As far as I'm concerned, they were getting a gun.  I panicked," Garrison said.

Garrison said he put Aaron Conn in the car, put a seat belt on Summer Conn and moved the car because it was blocking his way out.  He said he thought more people might be coming to hurt him so he rushed to leave to go to his parents house.

Garrison said the only thing he told his parents was that he had killed two people.

Garrison was sentenced to 30 days in jail for contempt of court after arguing with the judge.  His sentence will be served after the trial is finished.

The Prosecutor asked Garrison why he never called police if he felt threatened.

"(Police) never do anything," said Garrison.

Prosecutor Krispen Walker made Garrison describe in as much detail as he could the day of the killings.  At times, Garrison and Walker were visibly agitated with each other.   Walker said Garrison's story is inconsistent.  Garrison said Walker is making him skip parts.

The state has finished cross-examination of Garrison.

The defense has rested and there was no rebuttal from the state.  Closing arguments will begin Thursday at 9:45 a.m.

  • Submit a news tip

    Do you know of something that would be a good news story?  Enter your email address and select "Submit"  to send it to 12 News HD.  You can also call the news tip line at 409-838-1212

    * denotes required fields
    We're sorry, but only one entry is allowed per person.
    Thank you for your continued interest.

    Thank you for submitting your news idea to 12News HD!

Powered by WorldNow

Newsroom: (409) 838-1212
Front Desk: (409) 833-7512
News Fax: (409) 981-1564
News Email: 12News@kbmt12.com

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KBMT. All Rights Reserved.
Users of this site agree to the Terms of Service, Privacy Notice/Your California Privacy Rights, and Ad Choices.