Silsbee remembers Jamarcus Myers; Questions raised about emergen - 12 News KBMT and K-JAC. News, Weather and Sports for SE Texas

Silsbee remembers Jamarcus Myers; Questions raised about emergency response

SILSBEE - Family, friends, classmates, teammates and the community came together Thursday night to honor the memory of Jamarcus Myers.

Myers is the 18-year-old Silsbee High teenager killed in a wreck on Easter morning.   A candlelight vigil was held for the student who was set to graduate next month.

Authorities say Myers passed a vehicle in a no passing zone on FM 418, just west of Silsbee, and crashed head-on into a pickup truck with four people inside.

Witnesses say Myers died instantly.

One of the first people on the scene contacted 12News because he was concerned that the four injured people had to wait about 40 minutes for an ambulance to arrive.

Turns out it was a 34 minute wait.

We contacted Acadian Ambulance, and spokesperson Brandon Hebert described a perfect storm of events that led to the delay.

Here's the timeline Hebert shared with us:

Between 8:05 and 8:52 Sunday morning, Acadian received three calls for ambulances, one for someone with breathing problems in Silsbee, the second for a heart patient in Buna, and the third for an emergency on Barrow Street in Silsbee.

The Barrow Street call was rowed over to Alpha Rescue, a Silsbee ambulance service with only one ambulance on weekends.

So when the call came about the wreck at 8:55, resources were stretched thin, and Air Rescue could not fly because of fog.

Acadian did send a supervisor with two paramedics in a Tahoe, which got to the crash at 9:09, four off-duty paramedics were also called in, and two of them drove to the scene in their own vehicles.

The first ambulance did not get their until 9:29 a.m., 34 minutes after the wreck.

But by 9:42 a.m., three more ambulances were on scene, including one from Lumberton.

The ambulances took four people to Christus Hospital St. Elizabeth, they were all in the truck Myers crashed into.

The driver, 48-year-old Michael Thompson of Buna, remains hospitalized in stable condition.
  • Submit a news tip

    Do you know of something that would be a good news story?  Enter your email address and select "Submit"  to send it to 12 News HD.  You can also call the news tip line at 409-838-1212

    * denotes required fields
    We're sorry, but only one entry is allowed per person.
    Thank you for your continued interest.

    Thank you for submitting your news idea to 12News HD!

Powered by WorldNow

Newsroom: (409) 838-1212
Front Desk: (409) 833-7512
News Fax: (409) 981-1564
News Email: 12News@kbmt12.com

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KBMT. All Rights Reserved.
Users of this site agree to the Terms of Service, Privacy Notice/Your California Privacy Rights, and Ad Choices.