Beaumont firefighters battled a blaze Tuesday night at the Ashley Park Apartments located at 3190 Eastex Freeway.
Captain Brad Penisson told 12News it started in apartment #238 shortly after 10 p.m. He said the fire was caused by a dropped cigarette that ignited curtains. He said the fire was confined to that apartment and the attic space above it. However, four apartments did suffer water damage and several others had smoke damage.
All of the residents in that building were evacuated. Firefighters, police and even neighbors knocked on doors to make sure everyone was out safely.
No one was hurt, but one woman had to be treated after suffering an asthma attack.
Authorities also say one pet died in the fire.
Penisson said the fact that the fire started in a corner apartment unit upstairs worked to firefighters' advantage since it kept it to just one end of the building.
He also told 12News that due to the damage to the electrical power supply, power had to be turned off to an entire building of the complex. That displaced about 40 tenants from 24 apartments.
The American Red Cross was called to the scene to help the displaced residents.