Whether you're a parent, or a host, to babies or toddlers at holiday events, it means taking some precautions, starting with a centerpiece of the Christmas celebration: the tree, and the lights that adorn it.
"Plastic can go right into the mouth. Again, can cause cuts in the mouth and the throat, also can be a choking hazard. The best thing that you can do is push the lights further into the tree and again, cordon off the area around the tree, so the baby can't get to the lights," said Lori Richmond, editor of The Bump.com.
Another tradition that requires caution -- opening those gifts.
"there's that chaotic Christmas morning where everyone's opening gifts, and scraps of paper, long lengths of ribbon -- these are things that can be left behind on the floor and found later by little children," said Richmond.
To avoid choking incidents, keep a bag on hand to collect what may be quickly discarded by older siblings.
During get-togethers, make sure guests are careful too.
"There's drinks around. Things like half-filled glasses of wine, or beer or egg-nog. Hot things like coffee or tea that can be left on low surfaces, that are very easy for a child to reach," said Richmond.
Guests should also keep purses and bags zipped up and out of reach, so curious toddlers, don't gain access to things they shouldn't.