Quantcast

Beaumont councilman calls son "a hero" for his quick response to - 12 News KBMT and K-JAC. News, Weather and Sports for SE Texas

Beaumont councilman calls son "a hero" for his quick response to fire

Posted: Updated:
BEAUMONT -

It could be months before Beaumont city councilman Jamie Smith and his family can live in their home.

A fire ignited inside the house at 4430 Roberts Avenue in South Beaumont, a street of 23rd between Washington Boulevard and College Street.

Smith and his wife were at an event in Mid-Jefferson County, when they heard about the fire.

Their 10-year-old son Jordan, was at home with his grandfather.

Smith believes Jordan's I-pad dock in his room started the fire.  Jordan says he was in bed listening to music, went to the bathroom and when he came back his bed was on fire.

Jordan went to get his grandfather, and called 9-1-1.  When both were unable to put out the fire, the closed the door to the bedroom and ran outside.

Smith calls Jordan "a hero", he says his son's quick response saved both him and his grandfather.

Councilman Smith also says the fact that they closed the door to the bedroom kept the fire from spreading to the rest of the house.

Jordan lost all his possession in his room, and the family has to stay at a hotel, because of the smoke damage throughout the house.

But Smith told 12News in an exclusive interview, "Homes can be rebuilt, lives cannot."

In addition to be Ward 4 councilman in Beaumont, Smith is also the office manager in the Jefferson County Clerk's Office, and is currently a candidate for Jefferson County District Clerk.

Powered by WorldNow

Newsroom: (409) 838-1212
Front Desk: (409) 833-7512
News Fax: (409) 981-1564
News Email: 12News@kbmt12.com

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KBMT. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.