Quantcast

Unclear if BISD can reclaim $2 million, taxpayers weigh in - 12 News KBMT and K-JAC. News, Weather and Sports for SE Texas

Unclear if BISD can reclaim $2 million, taxpayers weigh in

Posted: Updated:
BEAUMONT -

Many Beaumont taxpayers are hopeful after the school board resident announced the district will seek $2 million in forfeited money. 

Whether that money is still available is still unclear. The U.S. Attorney's Office would not comment. 

President Woodrow Reece made the announcement exclusively to 12News Tuesday night. 

Reece says he wants to seek money Electrician Calvin Walker had to forfeit to authorities in a plea deal last year. 

The plea deal included dropping 37 counts against Walker. Walker pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of failure to pay taxes in a timely manner and had to forfeit $3.2 million.

In 2012 Reece was on the board majority that voted not to pursue the money but says his announcement comes in effort to heal a divided community. 

Some taxpayers say it's about time.

"I don't think believe protest really produced what happened with Mr. Reece. I think it's the TEA investigations. And they feel they better do something to make the public happy," Jayne Borderlon said.

"That sounds great and hopefully he will. Hopefully he'll get that money back," Remi Bryan said. 

Reece also said the district may end its contract with Walker Electric. 12News contacted Walker for comment.

Walker said "That's very interesting," 


 

Powered by WorldNow

Newsroom: (409) 838-1212
Front Desk: (409) 833-7512
News Fax: (409) 981-1564
News Email: 12News@kbmt12.com

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KBMT. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.