Quantcast

Bomb scare in downtown Beaumont - 12 News KBMT and K-JAC. News, Weather and Sports for SE Texas

Bomb scare in downtown Beaumont

Posted: Updated:

Beaumont police and fire personnel set up a perimeter along Wall street at Orleans just before 4:30 p.m.  Wednesday.

Emergency responders were trying to keep people out of the area after a hitch hiker told people at the Beaumont Municipal Court building that bombs had been placed in his duffle bags.

The 22-year-old Galveston man said they were placed there by a Groves man who gave him a ride to Beaumont. 

The public library was evacuated, and a Jefferson County Sheriff's Department "explosives- sniffing" dog worked the scene.

The 'all clear' was sounded after only clothes were found in the bags.
Fire Captain Brad Penisson says no one has been charged yet and an investigation continues.

A 46-year-old Groves man admits giving the Galveston man a ride, but says he never said anything about bombs.

 

  • Submit a news tip

    Do you know of something that would be a good news story?  Enter your email address and select "Submit"  to send it to 12 News HD.  You can also call the news tip line at 409-838-1212

    * denotes required fields
    We're sorry, but only one entry is allowed per person.
    Thank you for your continued interest.

    Thank you for submitting your news idea to 12News HD!

Powered by WorldNow

Newsroom: (409) 838-1212
Front Desk: (409) 833-7512
News Fax: (409) 981-1564
News Email: 12News@kbmt12.com

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KBMT. All Rights Reserved.
Users of this site agree to the Terms of Service, Privacy Notice/Your California Privacy Rights, and Ad Choices.