Volunteer fire chief injured

The chief of the McLewis Volunteer Fire Department is recovering from an injury he suffered while battling a fire Saturday night at a three-story apartment building of the Village Apartments on the Texas Avenue.  

Chief David Roberts says a fire engine was driving to unravel a fire hose when a coupling became stuck on the truck bed. The hose had just been connected to a fire hydrant. The tension became too much and the hose snapped, sending a 30 pound coupling at Roberts. He was struck in his left elbow, breaking it in two places. 

Roberts is recovering following surgery and expected to be out of the hospital by Monday night. He I expected to return to work in about three months. 

A paramedic was also injured.

The fire broke out around 9 p.m. Saturday night. Everyone inside the apartment building made if out safely along with a cat that was also rescued. Nine apartment units were damaged by the fire. Tenants are being assisted by Red Cross. 



To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment