New details about Beaumont gunman who committed suicide at IAH

HOUSTON (KTRK) -- We're learning more about the events that led up to yesterday's shooting at Bush IAH's terminal B that brought air traffic to a near-standstill and sent passengers scrambling.

Investigators with the Houston Police Department's homicide division just released new details of the fatal shooting. They detailed a timeline of the events that unfolded just after noon Thursday. Police say 29-year-old Carnell Moore arrived in white pickup truck at 12:02pm. He parked in the passenger pick-up area and sat there for 15 minutes.

At 12:17pm, police say Moore got out of his vehicle and grabbed a suitcase. A minute later, he entered the baggage area and went upstairs. He went into the waiting area near the United ticketing counter. Police add that at no point did Moore breach airport security.

Then investigators say at 1:30pm, Moore drew a Glock semi-automatic pistol and fired twice in the air. A Homeland Security agent who was nearby confronted Moore, giving several commands. Moore didn't comply, and the agent was forced to fire his weapon.

Police say Moore was hit from long range in the right shoulder area, likely from the agent's weapon. He was also suffered a fatal wound in the temple.

Inside the black suitcase in Moore's possession was a loaded AR-15, which was loaded but hadn't been fired.

"We're very fortunate the individual did not injure or kill any other victims," said HPD Chief Charles McClelland.

According to authorities, Moore left behind a suicide note, in which he said he didn't want to hurt anyone, but that, "The monster within is getting stronger."

HPD homicide investigator Fil Waters said that Moore's family has said he had expressed a desire to confront a police officer while armed. But he had no criminal history and is described as a 'very private individual.'

Moore was quite vocal about his intentions, even posting some eerie messages on Facebook. On Wednesday, Moore wrote, "I recently had the chance of staring death in the face, and she was beautiful."

A few hours later, Moore posted, "this life will crash tomorrow."

The Department of Homeland Security said the agent was not injured in the shooting.

Terminal B was shut down for several hours during the investigation and passengers were being sent to other terminals, according to the Houston Airport System. It reopened around 5:30pm.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment