Housing vouchers available for homeless veterans

SOUTHEAST TEXAS - The Deep East Texas Council of Government Housing Department has 25 housing vouchers for homeless veterans in the DETCOG servicing area. 
The HUD-VASH program assists homeless veterans and their families afford decent, safe, and sanitary housing through the distribution of housing vouchers. 
Veterans are selected based on health care eligibility, homelessness status, and income. They are not required to be chronic or mentally ill or have chronic substance abuse disorders. 
Homeless veterans and their families receiving HUD-VASH rental assistance must receive VA case management services until the Veterans Administration Medical Center (VAMC) determines that it is no longer necessary. 
HUD-VASH's main concern is to provide housing for veterans, However they do assist with access to healthcare and other supports such as vocational assistance and job development. 
The DETCOG servicing area for the vouchers include Angelina, Houston, Hardin, Jefferson, Jasper, Newton, Polk, Sabine, Orange, Shelby, San Augustine, San Jacinto, Tyler and Trinity counties.
If you or someone you know is a veteran that needs housing assistance, you can call Veronica Thomas at 800-256-6848, Extension 5335. 

(© 2016 KBMT)


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment