Elderly Beaumont man dies after being injured in Sunday morning fire

BEAUMONT - An elderly Beaumont man succumbed to injuries he received in a Sunday morning house fire.

Charles Watson, 74, was transferred to UTMB Galveston in critical condition where he later passed away according to Beaumont Fire Rescue.

Just before 5 a.m. Sunday firefighters responded to a house fire in the 9400 block of Riggs and on arrival found the garage was engulfed in heavy smoke and fire according to the fire department.

While several family members were able to escape unharmed, Watson was trapped in a bedroom connected to the garage.

Firefighters rescued Watson and treated him at the scene before he was taken to Christus Hospital St. Elizabeth.

Firefighters extinguished the fire which damaged the attic area of the home and the garage and is being blamed on an electrical short.

© 2017 KBMT-TV


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment