Some Southeast Texans had their fill of pancakes Saturday morning with the Bishop of Beaumont.
About 400 people attended the 22nd annual Breakfast with the Bishop at St. Jude Thaddeus Church located at 6825 Gladys Ave. in Beaumont. The event is an annual fundraiser for Catholic Charities of Southeast Texas.
Bishop Curtis Guillory, SVD, told 12News that Southeast Texas Catholics are energized in part because of the new Pope's focus on the poor.
Each year during the event, a Humanitarian Award is presented to a recipient selected by the Catholic Charities Board of Directors. Honorees are people who have served the community. Karen and Mike Fuljenz received the this year's honor.
Past Breakfast with the Bishop Honorees
- 2012: St. Joseph, the Foster Father of Jesus, and All Fathers
- 2011: Mary, the Mother of God, and All Mothers
- 2010: Mr. Dean M. Terrebonne
- 2009: Mr. and Mrs. H.P. Robichau, Sr. (posthumously) and Clara Jo Liberto
- 2008: Leighia Barron, Rev. Ruby Nelson, Fred R. Anderson and John S. Hanes
- 2007: Rich and Cheli Courville
- 2006: Honored all Responders to Hurricane Rita
- 2005: Bobby J. Capps
- 2004: Father Bill Manger
- 2003: Regina Rogers
- 2002: Sendy Todaro O'Keefe and Lea Uptigrove
- 2001: Rev. Ronald B. Foshage, MS and Rosanne Brady
- 2000: Mary Bishop
- 1999: Sr. Maria Geheb, OP
- 1997: Paula O'Neal
- 1996: Vernon Drummond
- 1995: Pat Papania and Fr. Tom Phelan
- 1994: June Klein
- 1993: Ruth Woods
According to the Catholic Charities web page, it is charged by the Diocese of Beaumont to defend and insure the preservation of human dignity and is inspired by the social teachings of the Church. The organization strives to improve the lives of those individuals and families who utilize its services.