Dawn Polk, a Democratic candidate for Jefferson County Justice of the Peace Precinct 8 is asking for a recount.
Polk says a recount is necessary because of problems with a voting machine at the Port Arthur Library.
On election night, an official said the early voting machine at the library had not been closed properly and the counting process had to be restarted late Tuesday. This caused the counting to go late into the evening.
This is the unofficial result of the count held on election night:
- Tom Gilliam III - 45.57% - 602 total votes
- Kenneth W. Marks - 23.24% - 307 602 total votes
- Dawn E. Polk - 17.26% - 228 602 total votes
- Antoine 'Ton' Freeman - 10.37% - 137 602 total votes
- Don Ray Collins - 3.56% - 47 602 total votes
*ELECTION RESULTS SOURCE: http://results.enr.clarityelections.com/TX/Jefferson/50692/124909/en/summary.html