The recount date in the race for Jefferson Co Justice of the Peace Pct. 8 has been set.
The recount will take place Monday, March 17 at 8 a.m.
The recount was requested by candidate Dawn Polk. Jefferson County Clerk Carolyn Guidry said Polk paid the $1,400 deposit for a manual recount.
Polk came in 3rd but about 70 votes from being in runoff.
According to 12News file stories, Polk said a recount is necessary because of problems with a voting machine at the Port Arthur Library.
On election night, an official said the early voting machine at the library had not been closed properly and the counting process had to be restarted late Tuesday. This caused the counting to go late into the evening.
This is the unofficial result of the count held on election night:
- Tom Gilliam III - 45.57% - 602 total votes
- Kenneth W. Marks - 23.24% - 307 602 total votes
- Dawn E. Polk - 17.26% - 228 602 total votes
- Antoine 'Ton' Freeman - 10.37% - 137 602 total votes
- Don Ray Collins - 3.56% - 47 602 total votes
*ELECTION RESULTS SOURCE: http://results.enr.clarityelections.com/TX/Jefferson/50692/124909/en/summary.html