21 taken to hospitals after deck collapses at NC beach home

Courtesy NBC News

By M. Alex Johnson, Staff Writer, NBC News

More than 20 people were taken to hospitals Tuesday night after a deck collapsed at a condominium unit on Ocean Isle Beach, N.C., authorities said.

Anthony Marzano, director of emergency services in Brunswick County, on North Carolina's Atlantic coast, said a second-story deck collapsed onto a first-story concrete patio. About 25 people were on the deck at the time, he told NBC station WECT of Wilmington.

Twenty-one people had been transported to three hospitals, some with serious injuries, including broken bones, Marzano said. None of the injuries was considered life-threatening, but one patient was evacuated by helicopter to New Hanover Regional Medical Center, a Level 2 trauma center.

Watch the most-viewed videos on NBCNews.com

Ocean Isle Town Administrator Daisy Ivey told WECT that the private home was being rented and that authorities had made contact with the owner.


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment