A resident and two contractors escaped injury Monday afternoon when a fire broke out at a Port Arthur home undergoing renovations following Harvey.

A neighbor who was outside splitting wood noticed the garage was on fire and ran over to knock on the front door to alert the homeowner in the 700 block of Barryknoll Lane.

Brad Essex was sitting in his recliner inside while two contractors were laying tile in the back of the home and had no idea his garage was on fire the neighbor told 12News.

All three escaped the house without injury neighbors and witnesses said.

Essex and his wife, Mary, who have lived in the home for about five years, had just moved back into the home in the last month as storm renovations were being finished.

Mary Essex said she was “glad no one was injured, we will just have to recover again.”

The fire was contained to the garage according to contractors from Mid-County Home Improvements.

The company pulled crews from four other jobs to help clean up and close in the front of the garage.

The residents are now staying with family.