The early morning hours of Sunday proved busy for Beaumont fire crews. First, firefighters were first sent out to the Crazy Cajun restaurant off 11th street around 2 a.m.

The patio area and fence were on fire and the flames began spreading to a car parked next door. Fire investigators believe the blaze was sparked by an electrical short. Firefighters were able to put out the flames and prevent any damage to the restaurant.

A few hours later, firefighters rushed to a house fire in the 9400 block of Riggs. Just before 5 a.m., the garage was engulfed in heavy smoke and fire. While several family members were able to escape unharmed, an elderly man was trapped in a bedroom connected to the garage. Firefighters rescued Charles Watson, 74, and treated him at the scene before he was taken to Christus Hospital St. Elizabeth. Medical staff attended to his burns and smoke inhalation. Watson was then transferred to UTMB in Galveston in critical condition due to the extent of his injuries.

Meanwhile, at the house, fire crews doused the flames with damage reported to the attic area and garage. This fire is also being blamed on an electrical short.