12-year-old Reginald Wells says something happened Friday between him and one of his teachers at Willie Ray Smith Middle School that still blows his mind.

"The last person's voice I heard was some girl saying that I should call my mom, and then he like hit me, and I blacked out," Reginald said in an exclusive interview with 12News Sunday.

Reginald, a 7th grader, says Friday afternoon he stopped in the hallway to chat with an assistant teacher from his math class. He says he cracked a joke about the teacher's favorite football team.

"All of a sudden he just hit me, in my shoulder... and I looked at him like 'what the heck?'"

Standing 4 feet 11 inches tall and weighing 80 pounds, Reginald says he then pushed the teacher's shoulder. That's when he claims the teacher blindsided him with a punch to the face that knocked him out. He says he woke up a few seconds later.

"The left side of my face was numb... my lip hurt... my head was hurt, like it had been shaken."

Reginald's mother Adrianne says she was briefed by the principal about what happened, based on what another teacher says he saw.

"(The principal) said Reginald was punched, in the shoulder, and then hit two times and uppercut, and then slid across the floor," Adrianne said. "It weighed heavy on my heart, because I've never put my hands on my son."

Adrianne says the teacher was escorted off the premises and fired on the spot, but before that, Reginald says the teacher said something to him.

"He said 'I can't apologize for what I did, I was just having a bad day and I just snapped.'"

Adrianne says she cannot believe the teacher was not arrested.

"For you to just let a teacher do that to him and just walk off, he's fired and walks off, I can't accept that."

Adrianne filed a report with BISD police and wants to press charges, but says no one with the school district has contacted her since Friday. She says she is now seeking legal representation.

"I'm just not understanding. I know there's a lot going on with BISD, but first priority is to protect the kids."

12News has placed several calls to BISD Police Chief Clydell Duncan but as of 11 p.m. Sunday our calls have not been returned.

12News contacted BISD spokesman Ron Reynolds, who said he was not aware of the incident but said he will look into it Monday. Reynolds also told 12News to contact BISD assistant superintendent Patricia Lambert, but several phone calls placed to her have not been returned as of Sunday.

UPDATE: BISD police pursuing an "injury to a child" charge against former teacher